Saturday, January 30, 2010

Who's Your Target Audience

A few posts back...I noted target audience. As a church, do you know your target audience? Not the group. Rather, the specific. Knowing the specific will frame and shape nearly every decision. Just consider these statements and questions in relation to the specific.

I am...
My occupation is...
I would describe my family situation as...
I am originally from...
I spend my free time...
My life would be better if...
My favorite television show is...
My favorite radio station is...
I buy my cloths at...
I read...
The most important thing in my life is...
My dream is to...
My greatest practical need is...
I socialize with...
I think Christians and churches are...
I would attend church only if...
I would grow spiritually if...
My name is...

Huh. You may say... What's the point? Don't we exist to be all for all to all? But, I would challenge the opposite. Through honing and narrowing, you're actually broadening. Let's break that one down a bit...

Say your target audience is Sam. Sam is only ten years old and he loves your church. Why? Well...your church speaks his language. After all, your church knows his aspirations, dreams, favorites, and needs. Your ministries address and engage these areas. With Sam...his parents now come and sit during your messages. His grandparents come as well...so they can partner with a vision and impact their Sam and others like him. United with cause and purpose! Sam just grew across three generations and all by honing and narrowing upon him.

Once again, as leaders, close your doors and address these statements and questions. Who is your target audience. A ten year old girl? A thirty year old mom? A seventy year old grandfather?

The specific will guide and shape events, outreaches, and services. Why? Because you're now able to answer - what's your target audience hoping and seeking and how does your congregation rally around and reach out to your target audience. That's how you spell IMPACT!

Without the specific...hours and resources may be wasted and/or underutilized as the context of target audience is null and void. And...context is often the majority. Until next time. Jed.

No comments: