Thursday, September 24, 2009

Innovate

I'm sitting here at Innovate 09 at Granger Community Church. So far, I've been blown away by a few simple principles.

- Hospitality. Now, I'm all about hospitality and have shaken many a hand while walking through church doors. But, something is different here...permeating and resonating throughout their culture. The annoying part? I can't quite put a finger on it. I believe it relates to being overwhelmed. Overwhelmed by people who will do anything and everything to ensure my visit is simply the best! Overwhelmed by love. And...I love it! After all, aren't we introducing guests to an overwhelming God. Seems to make sense to me.

- Impressions. The entry doors are glass. Glass of course attracts fingerprints. Anyone with kids will attest to this simple truth. I just watched these doors get cleaned...only a couple hours into the day. No need to do so. They looked ok. But, the attention to this minor detail speaks volumes to their heart. And...don't be fooled. Hospitality and impressions are virtually one in the same!

- Innovations. This one shouldn't be a surprise. Innovations at Innovate 09. The world screams innovations in every market place. From cars, computers, homes, or phones. Why should the church get an exemption? I greatly appreciate their creativity...as this creativity clearly reaches out and speaks into their community.

- Questions. From the first session, there are still two questions rattling within my head. Why should people go to church? And...why should people go to my church? Pretty basic. But, these questions will frame and form the foundation of your congregation. Do you know your answers?

Hats off to the folks here at Granger! Thanks for everything and I'm looking forward to the remainder of Innovate 09.

No comments: