Monday, December 21, 2009

Meaning Of Meaning

Here I sit...staring blankly at my screen with a brief moment before me. A brief moment to post something. But...a simple question rattles within my head. Repeating again and again in relentless pursuit of an ever eluding answer.

My question --- post what? My answer --- don't know!

Reminds me of Solomon. Perhaps he wrestled with the same as he wrote the following, "Yet when I surveyed all that my hands had done and what I had toiled to achieve, everything was meaningless, a chasing after the wind, nothing was gained under the sun." (Ecclesiastes 2:11).

Huh. Seems like meaning is frequently sought but rarely caught...even for a man such as Solomon. A meaningful career, day, experience, post, read, or relationship. So...perhaps it's good to sit and stare blankly. Remind, reflect, and never forget. Much is meaningless! In fact, all is meaningless except one.

"But an angel said to them, 'Don't be afraid. I bring you good news of great joy that will be for all people.Today in the town of David a Savior has been born to you, he is Christ the Lord.'" (Luke 2:10-11).

Good news and great joy. For all and born to you.

I could continue with God's grace and love. Leading to forgiveness and peace. Revealing and unfolding to true meaning. But...I won't as my soul tires of connecting these simple dots. So...I'll leave you with this...

Meaning will never appear absent a Savior! And, as the angel said, he is Christ the Lord. So...sit, stare blankly, and ponder the meaning of meaning. Until next time. Jed.

1 comment:

Wes said...

I love what Regi Cambell says, in his book Mentor Like Jesus: "Pursuing meaning in our lives doesn't exclude having great memories, but meaning matters in a deeper and more long lasting way. Meaning says that the activity that you are involved in is really important. Meaning says that it matters at a deep level. Meaning says the consequences of the activity will affect the people involved for a long time. Meaning says that there is a multiplier effect, that future generations of people will benefit from the thing that has meaning."