Thursday, February 18, 2010

Lacking Simple Answers

Crack open the tail end of Genesis and what will you find. My man Joseph. Sold into slavery by his own kin. Locked up within the dungeons of Pharaoh. Forgotten by friends. Reason after reason for despair, discouragement, and doubt.

Funny thing though. Joseph reflects back with thankfulness instead of bitterness.

And now, do not be distressed and do not be angry with yourselves for selling me here, because it was to save lives that God sent me ahead of you. Genesis 45:5

Lately, I find myself questioning Scripture. Joseph couldn't have possibly meant that...could he? But, crossing from the Old to New Testaments, we stumble upon more. More of the same.

Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds. James 1:2. Why? For the development of perseverance. Don't get me wrong. Perseverance is good. But...pure joy? You're kidding. Right?

Almost adding insult to injury...Paul pushes the envelope within Romans. Trials to develop perseverance to develop character to develop hope. Hope? Now that seems like a stretch...

Ya. I'm being a little honest and open tonight. No worries though. There's good news as I'm sure of two things.

1. There's a God.
2. I'm not Him.

So, despite my questions, I stand encouraged. Encouraged by lives such as Joseph. With all his tears and trails and how these tears and trails ultimately saved many from famine...including his own family.

The lesson? Even though we may only see today...God sees the relationship of today with tomorrow. And, for that, I stand encouraged. Until next time. Jed.

No comments: