Tuesday, November 03, 2009

The Question Everyone Is Asking

Last weekend, my three year old riddled me with one pretty simple question. Here's a summary of our conversation.

Her: "Daddy? I can't see my heart...but, I want to see God. Where's God?"

Me: "Well sweetie...God is everywhere."

Oh boy, now I messed up. What's with my hippie answer? Such an idiot!

Her: "But, I've never seen Him. Where is He? I want to see Him."

Me: "Well...you see...it's kind of like...well...something like..."

Now, how do you explain God to a three year old. After all, this question has haunted and taunted me for decades and counting! I landed upon some wacky analogy involving fun fruits. I'll spare the details along with my embarrassment from this blog. But, I'd like to think it was earth shattering. :-)

So...where is God? This question begs an answer as my three year is not alone. We're all asking. Where is God in my ache, doubt, fear, hurt, pain, sorrow, and worry? Where is God in my everyday life?

"Listen! I am standing and knocking at your door. If you hear my voice and open the door, I will come in and we will eat together." Jesus. Revelation 3:20.

Turns out...God is only one response away. Our response to invite Him in.

What now leaders and teachers? Simply put. Keep the main thing the main thing. Above all, carry the cross. Look past classes, events, outreaches, meetings, and programs. Let life change rule the day. Are people answering this knocking? Opening their doors?

Success must not rest on dimes and dollars. Success must rest on life change as we have the answer to the question everyone is asking. Where is God? Well...He's ready and waiting on you and me!

So, is life change active within your ministry? Until next time. Jed.

No comments: