Friday, October 30, 2009

Steeple Transformation

No thank you. I'm simply too busy and not in need of any additional business. These words were recently spoken to me. Pretty much leaving me speechless. I thanked him for his time and then hung up the phone.

Let's call this guy Hank. Hank owns a business and I was offering referrals with virtually no investment from Hank. Potentially generating thousands in sales for Hank. From my perspective, it was a huge win win. From Hank's perspective, it was simply additional noise in an already noisy world.

Huh. Shortly after this experience, my head started to spin. I was amazed, astonished, confused, and puzzled. What just happened? What went wrong?

The church and the lost instantly popped to mind. The lost are everywhere. The car behind us, the cubicle next to us, the house next to us, or the seat in front of us. Ironically enough, the church is everywhere. Across the bridge or down the street, a steeple is likely around the corner.

But, does the church ever relate with Hank? Looking at referrals, the lost, as simply additional noise in an already noisy world. The lost walking past these steeples. The church huddling underneath these steeples. Only drywall and lumber separating the two. Yet, this drywall and lumber appearing as mighty walls. Perhaps it's time for a reverse Jericho...with the church blowing their trumpets and allowing their walls to crumble.

I'm not here to condemn or convict. I love the church! I'm part of the church. But, I cannot ignore the stirring of God. Telling me to roll up my sleeves and get dirty as reaching and saving the lost is dirty business. It will stretch our comforts and customs. It will remold and reshape our steeples. It will not only change the lives of the lost...but, it will change me and you.

I can only speak for myself. But, I'm ready...ready to...

- Let go of my me mentality.
- Stand behind the leaders God has lead my way.
- And...short of sin, do whatever it takes to reach and save the lost.

Anyone with me? Let not Hank infiltrate our steeples as these steeples cost God the life of Christ. Until next time. Jed.

No comments: