Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Questions For My Kids

I often wonder about the future and my kids...and how these two will inevitably interact and intertwine. What parent doesn't? Questions like: where is everything heading, how will my kids get there, and what in the world will it look like?

Funny thing about all of this wondering. It quickly becomes focused on me! Sound familiar? I can't help but think of the Israelites. Wandering around the wilderness. Asking these same questions. Where is everything heading? How will my kids get there? And...what in the world will it look like? Quickly focusing on themselves and forgetting a most important truth.

So, let's borrow a bit of wisdom from Don Miller's latest. Ready, set, go...

Don reminds us we're just a tree in a story about a forest. Or, simply put, life is bigger than me or you! And...let's not forget the story of the forest is greater than the story of the tree. Once again, life is bigger than me or you! But, here's the cool part. These trees are allowed to create within this forest. Brilliant color, growth, and even death. Continually bringing glory to the forest.

What does it all mean?

As far as the future is concerned...articles, blogs, interviews, news, and shows will continue to produce more questions than answers. These questions will be growing, reproducing, and thriving for me, my kids, and even my kids kids. But, by continually glorifying the Author of our story, we'll find peace in knowing these questions are better left unanswered. With answers...faith would be dead and useless. And that's a world I care not know.

O taste and see that the Lord is good. Blessed is the man who trusts in Him. Psalm 34:8.

No comments: