Monday, August 17, 2009

Can You Hear Me Now

Once upon a time, I was just about to dream and...a nudge. It was my wife. I'm sure out of love and respect.

"There's a cricket," she says. "Do you hear him?"

Internally, "What in the world. I'm sleeping over here." Externally, "No sweetie." Rolling over. Drifting and longing to dream...another nudge.

"Not inside. The little sucker is outside. Go get him!"

For a moment - a very brief moment - I considered arguing, disagreeing, and flat out refusing. Rather - after coming to my senses - I headed out with flashlight in hand. Now, pinpointing one cricket is basically an impossibility. So, combined with lots and lots of Raid, I reverted to scare tactics (aka loud noises). Somehow, I conquered and tamed the midnight beast. Dumb luck I guess.

Peripheral noise. Sometimes cricket like and other times giant like. A sleep robber nonetheless and often times for more than just one. Sending some out into the darkness while others fear and fret. Paralyzing. Debilitating. Conquering the directives, goals, and objectives of life. Leaving you drained, exhausted, and tired. Leaving you one and only one option. Simple surrender!

Perhaps peripheral noise is better noted as persistent noise. Either way, this noise is annoying and distracting. Only masking the real disease. The fatal disease of misguiding and unraveling.

What persistent noise is annoying and distracting you? Leading to misguiding and unraveling your life? Time to get out the Raid! Don't rely on dumb luck. After all...dumb luck is just that...dumb. Until next time. Jed.
http://jacobgrier.com/blog/wp-content/camel_cricket.jpg

No comments: